2014

2014

Sunday, March 17, 2013

My {first) African Birthday

My birthday was a week ago, but I thought this post was better late than never. It is amazing for me to look back over the past few years, and remembering always thinking that my next birthday might be in Africa. Always wondering what it would be like, and what we would do. I just remember the morning of my birthday waking up and thinking, " I am in Africa." I felt so blessed that our time has come and we are here. On the same hand, I was a little bit sad because I knew the day would not be spent with our family and friends at home. I was a little unsure of what the day would hold. We woke up, got the kids ready and took them to school. After we had picked the girls up from school {Kayden stays a full day while the girls are only a half day right now} we went out to lunch to my favorite restaurant for pizza. Don't be fooled when I say pizza. :) It is good, but nothing at all like Pizza Hut! :) My dear friend here, Mary, had just delivered her third daughter via C-section earlier that morning, and her husband called me and asked if I would like to come up and see Mary and the baby as a birthday present. Um, of course! If you know me at all, you know I have an extreme weakness for babies, especially little newborns. It was so nice to get to see Mary and meet sweet Naomi. It was also very interesting, and a little sad, to experience my first trip to an African hospital.



Once I was home from the hospital it was time to head over to our friends house for dinner with them. I had already guessed by then that Brian was throwing me one of his "surprise" parties { I am pretty sure he has thrown me one every year since we have been married :) } and sure enough it was.




It was a great night with our new community of friends. Of course my fun loving husband had some games planned that were fun for everyone.




Brian had even picked me up cake from a bakery in town.



 It was a great night and I left feeling so blessed for so many reasons. It is still so surreal to me sometimes that we are actually here. I have spent the last seven years of my life wondering when it would be, and it is here. God has been so good and faithful to our family, it honestly blows my mind. This past month has been the hardest time of my life, and yet at the same  time some of the best and most precious times of my life. I will be posting next time about what we have been up to this last month, and how I have personally seen God's amazing grace overflowing in my life. Love from the whole Loudermilk crew to YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment